Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Microsoft SQL Server BI in Formula 1 - Case Study

I love F1 racing. It the perfect showcase for technology, and I posted a while ago that Microsoft had been selected, along with McLaren to provide BI for F1. It looks like the first case study is now available as of a week ago. Here is a white paper and a video for you to look over.

According to the white paper, each Formula One car will typically generate 1–2 gigabytes of data in a race for 100 different sensors on the car. Each team runs two cars, and there will be 17 races next season. As far as I am concerned, this is one of the coolest applications of BI that I have heard of yet. Additionally, this is all being analyzed in real-time. I hope that we get some more case studies, but I'm not counting on anything.

No comments: